As of late, market research analyst firms such as Nielsen and comScore have been reporting that Google’s Android platform is taking up 40% of the smartphone operating system market, surpassing that of Apple’s iOS’ 28% share.
Consistent amongst these findings is the fact that there are many feature phone users on the fence when it comes to operating system choice once they make the transition to smartphones.
The Nielsen report found that 60% of all total mobile phone users are feature phone users, the other 40% being smart phone users. Out of the above percentage, 30% of feature phone users reportedly have yet to commit to a specific smartphone or operating system. Market analysts believe that Google and Apple will be competing for these undecideds in order to widen or close the customer gap.
Nielsen analysts conducted research via surveys and had respondents answer several questions regarding their attitudes with new technologies, with smartphones in mind.
There was a stalemate between Android and iOS devices when respondents likely to get a smartphone in the next year were asked which device they would purchase. ”However, among those who say they are usually the first to embrace new technologies, “Innovators” or the earliest of early adopters, Android leads as the “Next Desired Operating System” – 40 percent for Android compared to 32 percent for iOS.”
The realm of mobile technologies has quite a lot in store in the near future, and Google has a lot to consider if it wishes to maintain and increase its Android market share.
Regardless of the numbers, there is a bit of turbulence in the market, with all wireless carriers affected by the pending AT&T and T-Mobile merger–especially due to its possible antitrust law breach as claimed by the U.S. Department of Justice. And the Fall Season ramp-up looks more aggressive than ever: Apple plans to release the iPhone 5. Microsoft is releasing well-reviewed Windows Phone 7 Mango handsets. RIM is making a scene with its latest BlackBerry 7 OS containing the much praised QNX platform.
Late adopting consumers in the market for new smartphones have the ability to change the way things stand in the mobile arena.
It was not long ago that we were in midst of an iOS-dominated era, but perhaps like those at the moment lauding Android, these late adopters may or may not choose to stick with the kings of mobile or go with an unknown underdog.
And for now, that’s the most stable outlook in the smartphone wars.